P.E. and Sports Funding
The Government has provided much needed additional funding to help improve the provision of P.E. (Physical Education) and sport in primary schools and to ensure that these improvements are sustainable.
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of P.E. and Sport in schools.
Read our latest Sports Premium Report: 2016-17 Sports Premium Report.
We are proud of our PE and sports and as a whole school we are part of the Daily Mile initiative about which you can find out more by following this link
What are we using our funding for?
- Access to termly networking meetings for P.E. Leaders
- Access to the annual competitions and sports festivals calendar in the Guildford Sports Association (GSSA)
- Providing links with local clubs and coaches
- Providing certificates and medals
- Funding a specialist P.E. and clubs manager
Our funding of a specialist P.E. and clubs manager will:-
- Develop our clubs provision even further as well as running more sports competitions and increasing participation in inter and intra school games
- Support and engage pupils who are least active and provide opportunities so they can attend more school sports clubs and activities
- Hire specialists to work alongside our pupils to develop new skills in various sports
- Buy resources and equipment to develop sports provision and deliver the P.E. curriculum
- Fund equipment for EYFS/KS1 at lunchtimes and break times to encourage activity
- Provide cover to release teachers for professional development
At St Thomas’ we are proud to provide a range of sports clubs and sporting experiences. It is important to us that our children are encouraged to live healthy, active lifestyles, they enjoy and participate in physical activity, they develop their confidence skills and attributes associated with good sportsmanship and leadership as well as being given opportunities to engage in competitive sport and coaching.
We are the proud holders of the Sainsbury’s School Games Silver Award for our sports and PE offer (2016-17).
What are we doing?
- Weekly P.E. and sport which includes, Football, Netball, Volleyball, Cricket, Gymnastics, Athletics, Dance, Goal ball, Swimming, Stoolball, Rounders, Tennis, Badminton, Dodgeball and Orienteering.
- Weekly access to qualified sports coaches
- Access to competitive sports which include matches, tournaments and festivals
- Inter and intra school games
- Use of our MUGA (Multi-Use Games Area) for pupils at break, lunchtimes and P.E. lessons
- Use of our MUGA to assist sports clubs on our site during holiday times
- Sign posting pupils to extended school sports activities and clubs outside of school time
- Hosting and sign posting pupils to holiday sporting activities
- Celebrating sporting success in and outside school
- EYFS and Key Stage 1 & 2 annual Sports Day
- Annual Healthy Schools and Sports Week
- Sports activities during curriculum theme weeks
- Outdoors and Adventurous Residential and Activity Weeks
- Pupil leadership with Sports Leaders in Year 6 leading and coordinating inter house sports competitions and leagues.
|YEAR 6 FOOTBALL||Outdoor Football|
|YEAR 5 FOOTBALL||Outdoor Runners Up|
|CROSS COUNTRY||Boys Runners Up|
|CROSS COUNTRY||Overall Third Place|
|YEAR 3 FOOTBALL FESTIVAL||Participants|
|YEAR 4 FOOTBALL FESTIVAL||Participants|
|DISTRICT SPORTS ATHLETICS||Overall Runners Up|
|DISTRICT SPORTS||Year Group Trophies – 5 out of 8|